The Rahn Group is an independent, privately owned Swiss company with a 77 year history and an enviable global position and reputation as an important and innovative supplier of specialty UV/ EB curable photopolymer products.
The market for these materials continues to enjoy good growth. This is driven both by the long-term trend towards solvent-free binders in existing coating and printing applications, and by the development of new technologies and applications enabled by the special features and properties of energy curing processes and materials. Rahn benefits from this growth, and is active in developing new materials for the emerging technologies.
EnergyCuring is the largest of the three divisions of the Rahn Group. The other two divisions serve cosmetic and food markets. While the largest customer base is in Europe, the company is well established in the USA, and its market in Asia is smaller but growing rapidly.
We are looking to bring an exceptional chemist into the company to succeed the current Technical Director who moves to take the role of Vice-President for the EnergyCuring business, and to lead the technical activity in the next stages of growth.
Technical Director, EnergyCuring
The new Technical Director will join the seven-strong executive team reporting to the V-P EnergyCuring, and take responsibility for the R&D and Application teams based in Switzerland, the USA and China.
Responsibilities will include:
- To lead and manage the 12 experienced and knowledgeable chemists, technicians and support staff in our R&D and application laboratories.
- To contribute to management of the EnergyCuring Business Unit together with the rest of the Management team.
- To play an important role in defining and prioritising polymer synthesis R&D projects in alignment with market and customer needs, collaborating with the Technical Key Account Manager and other members of the executive team.
- To organise, budget, and deliver the agreed market driven and internal technical projects using appropriate planning and management tools. The company has as a strategic objective to deliver a proportion of its new business from products specifically developed in-house.
- To represent the EnergyCuring division at customers and at technical conferences
- To develop and meet the laboratory budget and capital expense targets. The company supports regular investment in laboratory facilities and the latest equipment.
- To continue to provide an environment which encourages creativity and innovation in the technical teams, with a focus on customer and market awareness.
Here are some of the qualities and abilities we are looking for:
- A strong academic background, with a PhD or other advanced degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering
- Excellent knowledge of polymer chemistry and a good understanding of analytical methods. Knowledge of UV curable resins and/ or their applications would be an advantage.
- Good team leadership and people skills
- An action-oriented and entrepreneurial approach, combined with the credibility and professionalism required to operate at a senior level in a multinational environment.
- Proven experience of managing and delivering a portfolio of product development activities working close to customers and the market.
- Experience in the formulation of inks, coatings and/or adhesives. This will help in relating to the needs of our customers and managing the application labs.
- Previous exposure to relevant manufacturing operations is also valuable.
- It is essential to be fluent in English and conversant in German.
- The position is located in Killwangen, outside Zürich. Business travel of around 10%, within Europe, and to the US and China will be typical. Support for relocation will be provided where appropriate.
This is a challenging position with a broad scope of activities, a lot of creative leeway and a competitive salary package, as well as continued possibilities for personal development.
We are looking for someone to share our long-term commitment and help shape the future of the business.